Volunteer Activities at the Arya Samaj
Arya Samaj Greater Houston is an organization run and supported by volunteers. There are various working committees lead by a member of management committee. Based on your interest in service, feel free to contact a particular coordinator or anyone in the committee.
1. Audio, Video: Manage monitor amplifier, lights on the stage, Provide microphone to Acharya ji & Shekhar ji,turn on power switch in the cabinet. At the end turn everything off and place everything at the right spot etc.
2. Sunday Satsang: Set up Havan Kund/Vedi, Light Diya, incenses, get ghee, water, Samagri, books, napkins and Samidha ready for Havan. Coach Yajmaans for their responsibilities. Clean up the Yajna Vedi immediately after Havan and place all materials in the closet. Ensure that all supplies are available and order/buy as needed.
3. Yajmaan coordination (Payal Talwar): Keeping track of the dates school parents signed up to be yajmaans. Sending them a reminder a month before the scheduled date.
4. Priti Bhoj Distribution: Fill jugs with water, setup the plates, napkins, spoons, paper cups etc for the Priti bhoj. Distribute the food in the main kitchen. Prepare Raita and make rice in the Rice cookers. Distribute the food to the kids, bring the left over food to the main kitchen.
5. Special Programs, Holi/Diwali: Start the planning 8 weeks prior to the event, decide the menu, cultural program etc, allocate the duties to volunteers, monitor the progress and execute.
6. Library:Placing books on the shelves, books check in and checkout, new books acquisitions, & cataloging, registering new library members, collecting deposit and entering new member information in the data base, following up on late book returns.
7. Communications: Write articles for the newspapers, about 8 times a year, articles are for functions held at ASGH– Holi/ Diwali/ DAVSS & DAVMS. Volunteers to support/ back-up for photography.
8. Reception/welcome: Sit at the main front desk during Arya Samaj events and weekly satsang, answer the phone, welcome the guests as they enter the hall, answer any questions they may have, maintain discipline in the hallway.
9. Sanskrit and Vedic Education: Organize and conduct Vedic, Sanskrit and Meditation classes at ASGH.
10. Bookstore Help:Book stock keeping and managing inventories, back-up for manning the book store.
11. Bhajan and playing Tabla: (Minu Garg):Sing Bhajans with Smriti ji in Arya Samaj, play Dholak, Tabla, & Harmonium. Back up when Smriti ji is on vacation.
12. Maintenance: Check landscaping around ASGH & School & report any problem of over/under watering. Take out minor weeds Maintenance: Minor repair work, good handy man.
13. DAVSS:Teaching Hindi, Naitik Shiskha, Organizing Sports and picnics, administrative, Planning/Organizing special program, Food Coordination, DAVSS Yajman Coordinator.
|Members of Working Committees|